Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Rel's Rants II

This is the log from my second day as a Tusker. There are three of these logs, so I'll post this one, and the next one, and then we will move on to other stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Since EVE pilots are based all over the universe, it's difficult to define what a "day" might be. So I'll take up where I left off in my last log, and review what has happened so far.

After receiving input from colleagues on my nemesis, Dale LoMass, I made the surprising discovery that instead of a fearsome foe, he may perhaps be not so fearsome, after all. This finding actually makes me feel a bit worse right now, having lost my ship once to him, and having had to run away the second time. However, it gives me hope that the impassable barrier that I had imagined Dale LoMass to be might be overcome quite soon in the coming weeks, or perhaps even days. By tomorrow, I will be able to barely fit T2 guns on the Rifter. I hope that this new ship will give me new advantages in fighting drone ships, which have so far proven to be very deadly for me.

Now, on to the battles! Soon after I logged on, I heard on voice comms that a leading pilot of our piratical organization, a man everyone calls Leyo, had tackled a Guardian, which was helping a friend in a Rupture. He was graciously inviting us to join in the killmail. Though still inexperienced in the world of EVE spaceships, I knew enough to know that a Guardian was a very expensive ship. Being four jumps away, I joined the fleet and quickly made my way there.

As I on the target system, I warped to Leyo; however, he was in a Dramiel that moves at about the same speed as the speed of light. I ended up landing 30 km away from the Guardian.
However, the Guardian pilot seemed to be confused, and, panicking from Leyo's relentless attacks, did not realize that he was coming straight toward me. I overheated my afterburners and scram, managing to disable his warp engines so he could not run away from my brave corpmate. I settled on a 500 m orbit around him, and poured round after round of Void ammo into him. I could see his shields going down slowly, and then his armor began to give way.

However, in my excitement, I made yet another miscalculation. I had left my afterburners overheat for too long, and they had burned out! The Rupture, which had been mostly missing me due to my speed, now began to land some heavy hits that took out my shields in a very brief amount of time.
However, help came in the form of a huge Hurricane, piloted by ItsmeHcK1. I soon found myself in structure, and blew up, but Leyo and Itsme managed to kill the Guardian after all.
After that, the Rupture fell easily, as well as a Rifter that had joined the fray belatedly for some unknown reason.

I was very proud of being part of this victory. My fleetmates were nice enough to send me the parts that had survived the destruction, which will more than cover the loss of my humble Incursus. All in all, it was a great experience.

However, my most recent victory came while roaming solo. My aimless roaming took me to Melmaniel, and I was ready to dock and rest there for the night, when I found a Drake in my directional scanner. Quickly narrowing down the angle, I found the exact asteroid belt where the Drake was located.
A quick check of the pilot databases indicated that this pilot was more experienced than me by 6 months. More experience and a bigger ship--all factors seemed to be stacked against me. However, I remembered the advice of my CEO and corpmates, who encouraged me to look beyond the figures and statistics, and that it was more important to look at the pilot's field of expertise.

I quickly checked his corporation--H.S.N. Deep Space Mining And Exploration Co. It was a corporation with 16 losses on the official records, with zero wins. Maybe this could be done!

With my heart threatening to burst out through my ribs with every beat, I warped into the belt. As soon as the overview cleared, I saw the Drake and the wake of destruction it had caused so far. With trembling hands, I locked, scrammed, and orbited the Drake, hitting it with everything I had.

The pilot immediately opened up a conversation channel, and offered me 6 million in exchange for safe passage. My first ransom! However, I was feeling greedy--if he was so unsure of himself, perhaps I could score my first solo battlecruiser kill, in a lowly frigate!

I was left with no choice, in any case. The pilot, having looked me up in the database, perhaps, decided that he could handle me. He abruptly closed the communications before I could even reply, and began to send salvos of heavy missiles at me. Luckily, I was still in constant orbit, and the missiles did little damage to me due to my small signature radius and speed.

I had heard of the fearsome tank that Drakes can fit, and decided to wait until the shields were at around 30% before overheating them, so that I may most effectively overcome its defenses. However, the shields seemed to be coming down quite quickly. The shields were finished, and I started breaking through the armor. My own shields had been slowly taking their toll as well, and I was taking damage in my armor now. However, my trusty armor repairer, overheated to make most use of every drop of capacitor, managed to keep me nearly topped up in armor throughout the whole encounter.

The Drake soon exploded, and I became the proud owner of a solo battlecruiser kill! Examining the killmail, I realized how failfit the Drake actually had been. In fact, it seems that I did the Universe a service by getting rid of a ship fit in such a gruesome manner. As one of my corpmates pointed out--who fits two afterburners on a ship!?

In any case, I feel very content about my contribution to the Tuskers since my last update. My biggest worry is that I may show a performance unworthy of the Tusker banner; however, I believe that the small role I played in the Guardian kill, and my last Drake kill, will allow me to lose many more Incursus and Rifters before I begin to drag the Tuskers into a negative success ratio.

No comments:

Post a Comment